Monday, February 7, 2011

Method of making square cushions with Canadian smocking


Canadian smocking is not as complicated  as it appears. Precession is very important.
Satin which is not too shiny is suitable for this. It can also  be done on any thick material. If it is done on thin materials embossed effect will not stay long.
Follow the following steps to stitch a cushion of your choice
Measure the size of the cushion.
Decide the size of the squares in the graph.
Select the design.
Calculate the material needed.
Press the material so that there no wrinkles.
Check whether the adjacent sides of the material  are perpendicular to one another .If they are not correct them.
Fix the cloth on a table with sticky tapes all around so that wrong side is on the top. Draw graph of squares of your choice. Do not forget to leave borders all around.
 

I bought 45 cm long and 4 cm wide plastic scales and got them cut along the length into 2 cm, 2.5cm , 3 cm  and  3.5 cm wide pieces .
I feel 2 cm x 2 cm graph gives good finish.




Zigzag the edges or else the thread coming out of the edges hinders our work.
Smock the design  of your choice column by column.
There will be pleats all around the design. Arrange the pleats in an order according to the design.  here  I have shown you how pleats can be arranged for different designs Check the size of the smocked piece tack the pleats in place.  This takes a little time. Later on these stitches can be removed.
The lines in the graph also  help us while making pleats. I prefer giving lining to the smocked material.



This is front side of the cushion cover. Using matching cloth for the back stitch the cushion cover.

Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. Hi I think you Have this image taken from my blog, you wrote it on my blog. This photo rule was sent to me by a follower domeu Eliana gregorio blog, you can see there that it has several comments she sent me asking if I could use these rulers found it great to send me a picture because I use this type of rule and found it so common Because it is common rules that are purchased in any stationery, but I'm sorry I'm taking the picture, I knew your blog and I am his follower, do they work capiton what you do, and if you want to copy some picture of mine can be the will, your blog is well known here in Brazil because capiton this high.
    I apologize once again and I will remove the picture.
    beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth
    you need not remove the image from your blog.I felt bad because the water mark was removed.If you use any image from my blog just give a link to my blog.I will be very happy if the image is useful to others
    Best wishes
    Vani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vani Ma'am
    I am a degree student from Bangalore. I wanted to enquire if you take classes in sewing? I am really impressed with the work you have put up on your blog!
    Ashwini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Ashwini I am not conducting any classes

    ReplyDelete
  5. HELLO VANI MAM,

    YOUR WORK IS SUPERB....DONT HAVE WORDS TO EXPRESS IT.


    THANK YOU FOR SHOWING IMAGES ON YOUR BLOG.

    REGARDS,

    BHAWANA CSJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Vani que lindos trabajos y gracias por compartir los con nosotras en mi país no hay talleres que te enseñen estas labores....bendiciones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Ana Muchas gracias por la apreciación!

      Delete
  7. Hello vani mam,
    This is Ankita lunkad.I liked ur work very much. I want to learn smocking pillows so plz guide me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello vani mam,
    this is ankita lunkad.i liked ur work very much. I want to learn smocking pillows. Plz guide me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Vani Mam,
    Your work is really awesome. Hats off to you.I'm really impressed by your work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hai mam
    I liked your hand embroidery work tooooooo much
    Is any catalogue available of yours for purchasing.plz let me know as I am very much interested in learning all these skill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello madam...ur work is good...can u tell me the measurement of cloth for this smocking

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have explained the method of caluculating in one of my posts. Please check.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Vani, are the 5 rules you show above in different sizes just bought from a stationers, if so I will have to try local store. Otherwise it seems you have bought the plastic and had them cut into the different widths - is that right? Many many thanks for all your tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought from a stationery shop and got it cut according to my need.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find this blog so exciting!..I am following it. Unbelievable content! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello Vani..i am learning smocking thru your tutorial..TQSM

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Vani Ma'em. I went through ur this design but i didn't understand for one cushion how much cloth do I need and the what is size of box ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please see my other posts .There I have explained how to calculate the amount of material needed for different design

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice blog now i can make cushions my self as earlier i have to buy online from swayamindia.com althogh they are having very nice collection i will still be dicey on that...

    ReplyDelete